Search for missing MH370 airplane to end soon
Monday, January 09, 2017 - 9:46:43
(VOVworld) – Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai has told the media that the search for the Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 will end in two weeks. Officials say they have not got any credible clue of the airplane’s whereabouts, while relatives of passengers demanded authorities to continue the search.
The airplane disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014, carrying 239 passengers and crew. According to initial assumption, it changed its direction and crashed in southern Indian Ocean. In the past two years, Australia has led the largest and most expensive search mission in aviation history, which costs 130 million USD. But the fate of the plane is still unknown although some debris has been found on Reunion Island, Mauritius, and offshore South Africa and Mozambique.
|The missing MH370 jet's search zone (Photo: AP)
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau said on December 20, 2016 that the jet is almost certainly not in the current search zone and may be further north. Experts proposed to expand the search zone to 25,000 square km to the north, but no official response is made. The last search was carried out last month without any result.
Families of the victims criticized authorities for their lack of search and investigation efforts. As they asked for hunt to continue, some Malaysian investigators said the authority will provide more information after physical tests of debris.
If no evidence is found in the next two weeks, the search for missing jet will end. A tripartite meeting between Malaysia, Australia, and China will be held, after final report on the 120,000 square km search in the Indian Ocean is made.