Media /
A lacquered board reminding visitors of the reincarnation of the Buddhist bonze Tu Dao Hanh Lang Pagoda is also named Chieu Zen Pagoda. The name of the pagoda translates to: "Because there is a clear good thing called Chieu. This is where the Great Zen Master Dao Hanh was born, so it is called Zen."
The lacquered board, thought to be carved in the Le Trung Hung dynasty (1533 - 1789), is now placed in the main chamber of Lang pagoda. There are two three-door gates. The outer gate has 4 pillars and 3 curved roofs which are attached to the sides of the pillars. This three-door gate was considered a model design for other cultural relic sites such as the gates of Voi Phuc Temple, Tay Phuong Pagoda, and Kim Lien Communal House in Hanoi.
Lang pagoda’s three-door gate.
A number of locals and visitors travel to the Lang pagoda on special days, such as the first and fifteenth day of each lunar month.
The peaceful Lang pagoda is an ideal place for students to read books The pagoda has a unique architectural design characterized by an octagonal pavilion in the middle of the courtyard. The pavilion has 16 two-tiered roofs decorated with the design of 8 dragons, representing the 8 Kings of the Ly dynasty.
The octagonal pavilion, highlight of Lang pagoda's architecture
There is a large brick well on the side of the pagoda
The gate to the ancestor-worship house is small, similar to house gates built by Vietnamese people before end of the 19th century.
The board of donations for pagoda renovation in 1952 was restored by Most Venerable Thich Dam Huyen
The old board of donations
A garden of tomb-towers honors monks who made great contributions to Buddhism and Lang Pagoda restorations
Ms. Truong Thi Dinh is one of a small number of growers of Hung Lang – a famous kind of basil grown in Lang village. She waters the herbs at Lang pagoda’s garden every day. Lang pagoda is now a historical relic site and a great tourist attraction of Hanoi.

Lang pagoda, a serene site in the heart of Hanoi

(VOVWORLD) - Lang pagoda is located in Yen Lang village, now part of Dong Da district, Hanoi. It was built during the reign of King Ly Than Tong (1128 – 1138), worshipping Buddha, Buddhist monk Tu Dao Hanh, and King Ly Than Tong. 

Nguyen Hoc