IS claims responsibility for bloodshed in Tunisia

(VOVworld) – The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the Tunisia Bardo Museum massacre in an online audio recording posted on a website linked to the group.  

IS claims responsibility for bloodshed in Tunisia - ảnh 1
Security is being heightened following the attack on the museum in Tunis.

The recording, which said two heavily-armed men attacked the museum with automatic weapons and grenades, warned of more attacks to come. There is escalating fear that overseas Tunisian jihadists will return home and carry out attacks. The Tunisian government estimates that 3,000 of its citizens may have traveled to Syria, Libya, and Iraq to join the IS or other jihadist groups.Tunisian Prime Minister Habib Essid said the 2 gunmen shot dead in Wednesday’s attack might have been Tunisian. The two extremists had been training in a jihadist camp in Libya since last September. Tunisia's president said four have been arrested who were directly linked to the attack and five who had "ties to the cell".

IS claims responsibility for bloodshed in Tunisia - ảnh 2

Tourists are evacuated by special forces from the site of an attack carried out by two gunmen at Tunis' famed Bardo Museum. (Photo: AFP)

The Tunisian people and the international community have decried the bloodshed. On Thursday, 200 protestors gathered in front of the museum, laid wreaths to commemorate the victims, and shouted slogans against terrorism. Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, Chairperson of the African Union (AU) Commission, strongly condemned terrorist attacks in Tunisia and affirmed the union’s solidarity with Tunisia. In a Thursday phone conversation with the Tunisian President, US President Barack Obama said the US will step up cooperation with Tunisia in anti-terrorism and other security issues. Japanese PM Shinzo Abe said Japan will do its best in the fight against terrorism by deepening cooperation with the international community.

Feedback

Related News
Others