Witnesses blamed Saudi Arabia authorities for Hajj stampede

(VOVworld) – Saudi Arabian authorities were criticized after a stampede occurred in Mina, 5 kilometers west of Mecca, killing at least 717 people and injuring 900 others.

Witnesses blamed Saudi Arabia authorities for Hajj stampede  - ảnh 1
Muslim pilgrims and rescuers gather around people who were crushed by overcrowding
(Photo: AP)

Witnesses said the police had closed all the entrances and exits of the pilgrimage’s camp, leaving only one. Moreover, despite the great number of pilgrims, the organization was not good enough and the police were not communicating properly. Many expressed their concern that such an incident could happen again. The Saudi health minister, Khalid al-Falih, earlier said that the pilgrims had been undisciplined and had not followed instructions. This is the second worst tragedy in Mecca this month after a crane collapsed on September 12, killing more than 100 people.

Feedback

Related News
Others