Pakistani airstrikes cause heavy casualties in Afghanistan

(VOVWORLD) - Tensions between Afghanistan and Pakistan are escalating after Islamabad launched a series of cross-border airstrikes on Sunday, killing and injuring many people, including women and children.

Afghan government spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid accused Pakistan of bombing civilians in the provinces of Nangarhar and Paktika.

Pakistan said it had struck seven locations along the border, targeting militant groups such as the Pakistani Taliban (TTP) and a branch of the Islamic State (IS) terrorist organization. The Pakistani Ministry of Information Technology and Telecommunication said the operation was retaliation for a mosque bombing in Islamabad two weeks ago that killed 40 people, as well as an attack on Saturday in Pakistan’s northwest.

Islamabad previously said it repeatedly asked the Taliban to prevent militant groups from using Afghan territory to attack Pakistan. Kabul, however, rejected the accusations and condemned the airstrikes.

The latest airstrikes are the deadliest clash between the two neighbors since border fighting in October that left more than 70 people dead.

Related News

Feedback

Others